Although St Cuthbert’s celebrated its 175th anniversary in 2009, this is only a fraction of the time that there has been a church on the present site. There have been several St Cuthbert’s Churches in the vicinity. The ‘Priory Charter of Lytham’ 1387 indicates there was a parish church before 1190. This would have been a modest building used when the Benedictine Cell was founded in Lytham. It was demolished in the 16th Century. Its successor was demolished in the 18th Century, and the next building made way for the current church in 1834.